Built at the base to supply metallurgical factories, the Chancy-Pougny power station now supplies Geneva with electricity. It was awarded the Naturemade Star certification in 2015, with this guaranteeing that the source of the energy and the quality of its production is in accordance with the most demanding criteria in Europe.
The construction of the Chancy-Pougny power plant began in 1920. Located on the French-Swiss Rhône, it initially supplied the French metallurgical factories at Le Creusot. From 1958, Geneva began to receive electricity produced by this plant.
This is a run-of-the-river dam, whereby there is an insufficient volume of water in the reservoir, and so storing it is not possibleUnlike accumulation power plants, run-of-the-river plants have little or no storage capacity. They cannot store up their energy, which must be consumed directly. ?. It benefits from changes in the flow resulting from the Seujet Dam for Verbois.
Since 2014, the dam has undergone major upgrades. At the end of 2014, four generator units were upgraded (replaced with "Kaplan" turbines). The fifth unit will only be partially upgraded, with this operation scheduled for 2017-2018.
The main objective of this work is to increase the plant’s design flow and thus achieve an annual production of 250 GWh, or 8.3% of the Canton of Geneva’s consumption.
Fish passage enabling fish to migrate upstream by bypassing the obstacle represented by the plant
of the Canton of Geneva's consumption is produced here